A warm welcome to Sarah and Sally from Home Barn, another wonderful independent business taking part in my series of #incredibleindependents interviews. It’s great hearing more about their fantastic business.
Hello, we’re Sarah and Sally Wilkie, sisters-in-law and Founders of vintage furniture and interiors shop, Home Barn.
1) Why did you start your business? We created Home Barn together back in 2010 as an outlet for our combined creative talents, we both had an eye for vintage and antiques and were always being asked by friends to find them things similar to those we had in our own homes. We also both had a desire to work for ourselves, to do something rewarding and inspiring whilst at the same time enjoying life with our families. We realised that between us we had the skills and experience to turn our passion for vintage into a business and Home Barn was born!
2) What do you love about running your own independent business? We love being able to spend time doing what we love to do – finding unique vintage and antique buys, styling and salvaging. It’s wonderful to be able to be creative and work on something we really feel passionate about. We also love that we’ve been able to grow our business whilst balancing it all with spending more time with our families.
3) What is your favourite product or service and why? Our salvaged dining tables are our favourite line as it’s something we created ourselves and we work with really talented local craftsmen to build them. All of the dining tables we make use reclaimed materials and are perfect for informal dining in a family home and we can make them to almost any specification. We love working with a client on their table and then seeing it take pride of place in their home.
4) Let’s spread the indie love, name some other independent businesses you support. We have so much love to spread for independents who have a vintage focus – we’ve actually just posted a blog post with our favourites here: https://www.homebarnshop.co.uk/2019/02/our-favourite-places-to-shop-vintage/
5) Which is your favourite social media platform and why? Instagram is our favourite platform – we’ve met so many amazing people through it, people who have popped into our barn and become regular customers. Some of our followers have been there supporting us for years and we recently hit a following of 10,000 which was a real moment for us. We also love Pinterest and really enjoy spending time on it and it’s something we plan to be spending even more time on going forwards sharing some of our styling tips and inspiration.
A big thank you to Sarah & Sally for taking part and do check out their amazing selection of vintage furniture, I love the sound of a salvaged dining table myself! It is wonderful hearing how their business started and about their combined passion for their business. Please continue supporting Independent businesses and use the hashtag #incredibleindependents to tell me about those that you love! There are so many amazing indie businesses out there!