Caz from Beetle & Wilde showing off some of her favourite products
1) Why did you start your business? The business is an extension of a lifetime of learning, travelling, collecting, buying and selling. I’ve studied Art & Design, Ecology, Palaeoanthropology and Archaeology. I’ve travelled around India, Africa, Japan & South America and have developed a deep love of the natural world. I also have a fairly insane obsession with Mid Century design and studio pottery! My husband Richard is a computer wiz and fellow traveller. So we put all that together, stirred well and beetle & WILDE was born! We wanted an antidote to the mass produced, throw away culture around us and source natural, vintage and sustainable homewares, with a natural history edge. Our challenge for this year is to go 100% plastic free in our packaging.
2) What do you love about running your own independent business?
Running your own business is hard work! But l wouldn’t do anything else now! I love being able to work from home, and being able to make choices about what l do, when l do it, and how l do it, is really important to me. It’s certainly never boring!
3) What is your favourite product or service and why?
My favourite product is probably our antlers. They are all completely individual and make a great statement in any room. I love our Alpine sheepskins too, they’re so cosy, l’ve got them all over the house!
4) Let’s spread the indie love, name some other independent businesses you support.
We try to buy vintage where possible and absolutely love Junk Deluxe in Margate for furniture and lighting & Petticoat Lane Emporium and Arch 16 in Ramsgate for anything and everything! You can always find a bargain! For a bit of indulgence we love Haekles in Margate, all their products are made from local ingredients, come in glass bottles and they do refills too!
5) Which is your favourite social media platform and why?
Definitely Instagram! So many fabulous people sharing ideas & supporting each other.
A big thank you to Caz for sharing her small business journey and giving us more insight to the passion behind this amazing business! Do check them out if you are after some unique homewares – those sheepskins look so cozy!
As always please do continue supporting all the small indie businesses out there. Continue to share the love using the #incredibleindependents hashtag.