A big welcome to Kay owner of Oski & Aggie who makes lots of beautiful products including personalised bunting, capes, bags and pocket cushions. All lovingly handmade.
1) Why did you start your business? I started sewing once my youngest (Aggie, not Oski) was six months old, and fell in love. I made things for us and gifts for friends for a while, then at a friend’s baby shower someone asked if I was going to make things to sell… So I thought why not, and just went for it!
2) What do you love about running your own independent business? I love that I can be at home with my kids every day and run a business in the evenings. It makes for long days during busy periods (like now!) but I really enjoy it.
3) What is your favourite product or service you provide? My favourite thing to make just now is a personalised pocket cushion. Perfect for keeping your current books safe, then snuggling up with it to read a few chapters. What I really love though is searching for the perfect fabric for customers bespoke orders. Once, I was asked to make something special for a rainbow baby. It was lovely to be a part of something so special.
4) Let’s spread the indie love, name some other independent businesses you support. The Lamb – the creative hub of Surbiton. I started going a few years for the Drink & Draw nights and love the relaxed, unique environment. Where else can you go with friends for wine and a cheeseboard, while a group of people learn to crochet at the next table!? They are hosting the fabulous Handmade at The Lamb Christmas Market on Sunday 9th of December, 1-6pm. Come and say hi and have a browse round the 20+ independent stalls. Eli-b Create & Sew – the fabulous Claire who helped me find my love of sewing. Her studio is in Byfleet Village, where she runs fantastic courses and social sewing ‘Hives’. Super Sitters – you can really feel the kindness and enthusiasm in the air when you’re around Stacey and her team. They’ve made a big impact on the community in Surbiton, whether you know them through personal childcare needs, weekend entertainment at The Surbiton Flyer and The Grove, or Surbiton Softplay at St Marks Church.
5) Which is your favourite social media platform and why? My favourites are Facebook & Instagram (@oskiandaggie are on both) because these are best platforms to document and showcase a creative business.
Thanks to Kay for sharing more about her business. Please do go and check out all her lovely products and please continue to support your #incredibleindependents by using this hashtag and telling me why you love them. Keep spreading the love for independent businesses.